Tuesday, October 21, 2008

BASP CX #1 - October 19, 2008


IMG_7815
Originally uploaded by acyee
Category: B Men

The first "big" race of the season for me. was literally BIG - 68 guys in our field! Did some good course re-con on Saturday, including a few laps with Scott, Amy, Chris and Chris...Then showed up early Sunday to see some of the RideOn crew mix it up in the C race. Unfortunately, the B race was the last race of the day, so I went home (gotta love races that are a 15-minute bike ride from home) in between for a second breakfast rather than standing in the cold for hours.

Got a 3rd row starting position and a pretty good jump at the start, which put me about 15th place heading up the run-up. While trying to re-mount in heavy traffic at the top I T-boned a barrier, but no damage was done, just lost a few seconds. The field strung out immediately on the 1st lap due to the narrow course, and I listened to the guy at the pits calling out places as I went by - found out I was sitting in 12th. Felt pretty good for the 1st few laps, despite the brutally bumpy course.

On lap 3 of 6, things started to fall apart - I dropped my chain on the steep bumpy dirt downhill (should've put it in the big ring!), and must have tweaked something as I forced it back on with the front derailleur, because my chain was skipping for the rest of the race. No excuses, but boy was that annoying! Slowly but surely, riders began to pass me, and I did my best to limit the damage. 1/2 way through the last lap, I found some power and picked off two riders, then made it my goal to keep them behind me. I finished in 20th place, which felt pretty good given the size of the field.

No comments: